Uses of the Sant Rafael Pavilion over the years

Once work was complete, in accordance with the wishes of the benefactress, Concepció Rabell, it was stipulated that the pavilion would be used for non-infectious diseases of the digestive tract. In almost a century of health-care activity, the Sant Rafael Pavilion has housed various uses, summarised in this chronology.
 
- Until 1929, it accommodated patients with digestive tract issues. It then became the pavilion for male traumatology patients, and the X-ray Service was set up on the basement floor.
- During the Civil War, the pavilion was used for Orthopaedic Surgery for men and women: women on the semi-basement and men on the upper floor.
- In the 1940s, with the construction of the Sant Antoni Pavilion for Traumatology and Orthopaedic Surgery, Sant Rafael housed Internal Medicine and Endocrinology.
- In 1981, the Clinical Haematology Unit (the first in Spain to carry out a bone marrow transplant in 1976) was added, installing environmental isolation rooms for immuno-depressed patents with a high risk of infection.
- Also in 1981, the X-ray service, situated in the basement, was replaced by the Otorhinolaryngology and Endocrinology clinics. The latter was set up in an extension built onto the south façade of the pavilion.
- In 1991, after a process of rehabilitation of the pavilion, the Clinical Haematology Unit occupied the entire main floor of the pavilion until it was moved to the new hospital in 2009.